VPS Hosting is a type of Web Hosting that use a virtualization technology. It has its own equipped operating system and custom software that allows a server machine with large capacity to run as it should be. Each virtual server has its own IP Address or Public IP and run independently with a fast configuration and globally this type of hosting is often used for Cloud Computing.
In simple term, VPS hosting is a service which provided by hosting providers to host a website or web page in a server machine which can be accesed or viewed on the Internet. This is an effective process of using a server to run a website or blog with different types of hosting available out there on the market. It is basically a special computer called server with its own running operating system and a custom software to store a collection of files and in most cases database that are served up to visitors so they can browse or access around it via Internet.
Choosing a VPS is like to choose a residential home for one or more websites at once on a server or servers with virtualization technology. Therefore, before buying it of course many things have to be considered by prospective customers. One thing which is important is Hosting and Domain name are two things that can not be separated on the internet, but they can be purchased separately at different service providers. Domain acts like a user’s website address, while hosting acts as a residence.
List of Contents:
How VPS Hosting Works?
VPS Hosting Performance can also be said as a semi-dedicated server because this server machine level is between Shared Hosting and Dedicated servers. This type of web hosting itself is a part of the dedicated server which divided into multiple servers with a separate resource like CPU, Memory, Storage or Space allocation, etc or in other words VPS is a dedicated server that offered at an affordable price and made into several virtual servers.
Users can manage their Virtual Private Server Hosting with remote control at any time and from anywhere in the world using Desktop Remote Access or supported application for that such as Putty or BitVise if you are using a windows operating system or a Terminal for Linux. Special for Unmanaged VPS Users get the main facilities to start, stop, reboot, install and reinstall an OS on a virtual server independently available on the control panel provided by the hosting provider, but the possible type or appearance of the control panel varies but almost have the same functions.
VPS Hosting service providers itself differentiated its services into several categories that consist of Full-Managed VPS, Semi-Managed VPS, and Unmanaged VPS or Self-Managed VPS. The most fundamental difference from all these types of VPS offered is lies in how hosting providers have a contribution to the server. Each provider offers different server specification hardware package and the location of the physical servers that are available in a number of places around the world which is also known or named as Cloud VPS. Below are several types of VPS:
Full managed VPS
Full managed VPS is a type of virtual server hosting which all of the features including performance, operating systems, software, hardware, until all of the installation done by the hosting provider, while users can focus to build a website or blog. This type of server is similar to a Shared Hosting with control panel such as cPanel that already known or familiar but has guaranteed resources for personal only and also support that always can help. But this type of hosting is also generally more expensive.
Unmanaged VPS also known as Self-Managed VPS is a type of virtual server hosting where the hosting company is only responsible for providing hardware and network that are always available and ready to be used, then the user will have to perform the installation from the beginning, giving the setup and maintain the system including software, performance, security and the possibility of problems that arise later. This option is the most widely taken by VPS users because it offers an affordable price which is almost the same or equal as Shared Hosting.
Semi-Managed VPS is the type of virtual server hosting that almost the same as Unmanaged VPS, it’s just a hosting provider has a limited offer such as the installation of an operating system or software selected by the user and Furthermore in general can only do a performance servers monitoring and a very limited support. Overall of virtual server types, Semi-Managed and Unmanaged VPS is aimed for users who have technical knowledge about servers, networks and the following maintenance as well as the security.
Here are some Advantages of using VPS:
- Full Administration as root or superuser.
- Free install and reinstall the operating system and software (Unmanaged VPS).
- A more stable server than Cloud Hosting and can reduce downtime.
- Has Public IP or specific IP Address.
- Server Resources large enough for a number of websites.
- Easy web management control Panel or cPanel (Managed VPS).
- The price is cheaper than a dedicated server but the server performance above shared hosting or cloud hosting and slightly under the dedicated server.
- VPS Hosting allows the use of unlimited domains where the server still can afford to accommodate.
- VPS packages Specification can be choose on the basis of need.
- VPS has a better control than shared hosting or cloud hosting, users have permission to set up the script and have root access.
- In one side has all the technology of shared hosting and cloud hosting yet more maximum.
Here are some Weaknesses Using VPS:
- The price is more expensive than Shared Hosting or cloud hosting (Managed VPS).
- Not suitable for beginners (Unmanaged VPS), unless willing to learn from the beginning.
- In case of hardware failure it will affect all VPS in a server.
- Servers must be monitored frequently (Unmanaged VPS).
- More complex software installation and management (Unmanaged VPS).
- Required updates to the latest software patch (Unmanaged VPS).
- Although it has more flexibility and access but still does not guarantee the allocation of power is greater than dedicated server because VPS remains shared with other users on a dedicated server.
A website or blog will require VPS when visitor traffic has started to grow and increase more and more. The choice of Virtual Private Server Hosting is certainly aimed at making the website faster accessible to users and avoiding interference from other hosting customers that can affect performance. VPS Hosting is also very suitable for users who prioritize privacy in managing a website and provide facilities that may not be offered in the Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, or WordPress Hosting.